moving global headers into one top-level location

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Apr 10 12:48:28 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 04:37:51PM +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 10/04/13 15:40, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> the problem is that the splitting of sw into 3 libraries is essentially
> a hack to get better startup performance; there is not really a clean
> separation there; for starters there are a lot of dependencies from core
> code to SwDocShell which is in the sw/source/ui directory but not the
> "swui" library.
>
> actually the sw library links in almost 200 objects from sw/source/ui.

... which obvious just should not be in sw/source/ui in the first place. Or at
least in two different directories, giving the reader a minimal clue which
lib they belong too. Having a dir source/ui in a module creating a lib called
FOOui, but linking those object into the different lib FOO is downright
premeditated deception.

> before this can happen a lot of work has to be done to clean up this
> mess.  the current situation makes it at least obvious that there _is_ a
> mess :)

THB I prefer a obvious mess to a "least obvious mess" as the second might give
people the assumption that they understand what is going on and pull a "lachend
in die Kreissaege rennen"[1].

The big negative of such a reorg would be that cherry-picking across this
barrier could be messy.

Best,

Bjoern

[1] literally: run into the circular saw with a smile