Summer of Code projects

Tobia Tesan tobia.tesan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 15:16:13 PDT 2013

Hello everybody!
I'm new here, julien2412 on IRC redirected me here.
I'm a twentysomething CompSci freshman (yes, I started out late :) from
Italy and a LO user.

I was thinking of applying for Summer Of Code this year and I'm having a
look at a number of participating projects.

I noticed that LibreOffice is participating and I'm wondering if there's
a way I could apply for such a big, influential and "important" project.

The big, fat disclaimer: I have real world programming experience with
small and medium projects and I'm a reasonably good student (my grades
are around 95/100 - or, roughly, I'm in the top 5%), but I have never
hacked LO.

I read the proposed ideas, but I'm not sure if they are doable without
previous experience with the codebase - especially, such a /huge/ codebase.

Should I give it a try anyway?

I'm attracted to the "about:config" functionality (mainly because I
love, love, love the idea - easy options are easily accessed, the full
power of l33t options can still be harnessed) and/or the "dialog widget
conversion" project (mainly because I hate ugly dialogs) and/or "improve
usability of Personas".

They sound like fun and doable hacks - I guess they might be combined
with other stuff from EasyHacks, too, but I'd like to hear from someone
who knows what kind of beast the codebase is before jumping in.

Thank you a lot and then some!

P.s.: My English may sound a bit shaky. Because it is. Sorry about that!

--
Tobia Tesan
<tobia.tesan at gmail.com>