Summer of Code projects

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Apr 15 00:03:59 PDT 2013

Hi Tobia,

On Sun, 2013-04-14 at 00:16 +0200, Tobia Tesan wrote:
> I was thinking of applying for Summer Of Code this year and I'm having a
> look at a number of participating projects.

	Great news; it sounds like you have a great set of suitable skills, and
it'd be good to hack with you this summer.

> Should I give it a try anyway?

	Of course; GSOC will give you invaluable real-world experience, which
comes from hacking in an existing large code-base. In general the code
should be reasonably well partitioned such that you can hack on one
small piece and not need to learn everything about everything :-)

> P.s.: My English may sound a bit shaky. Because it is. Sorry about that!

	It's fine; FWIW - if you like a really well separated task (and some
friendly mentors), I'd recommend the file format tasks that Fridrich &
Valek are mentoring - they should be fun, and often seem to result in a
small / separate library. So the Macromedia FreeHand filter, would be
fun, the QPro filter should be quite achievable, for a slightly harder,
but arguably even more useful task: the WMF/EMF/EMF+ improvements would
be really valuable.

	Anyhow - hope that helps,

	ATB,

		Michael.