Summer of Code projects

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at suse.cz
Mon Apr 15 01:20:57 PDT 2013

Hi Tobia,

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:16:13AM +0200, Tobia Tesan <tobia.tesan at gmail.com> wrote:
> The big, fat disclaimer: I have real world programming experience
> with small and medium projects and I'm a reasonably good student (my
> grades are around 95/100 - or, roughly, I'm in the top 5%), but I
> have never hacked LO.

Was any of those a C++ project?

> I read the proposed ideas, but I'm not sure if they are doable
> without previous experience with the codebase - especially, such a
> /huge/ codebase.
>
> Should I give it a try anyway?

Sure! As long as you have fairly decent C++ knowledge, you should not
worry, mentors will help you get bootstrapped. I knew nothing about the
internal API's etc in 2010, still could complete a project successfully.

> They sound like fun and doable hacks - I guess they might be
> combined with other stuff from EasyHacks, too, but I'd like to hear
> from someone who knows what kind of beast the codebase is before
> jumping in.

So, try to solve an EasyHack, that is needed anyway to be eligible,
better to do it now, instead of during the last weekend in a rush before
the deadline. :-)

> P.s.: My English may sound a bit shaky. Because it is. Sorry about that!

No need to worry, it's OK.

Best,

Miklos