cherry-pick across renames [was: minutes of ESC call ...]

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Apr 15 23:15:07 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 09:34:16PM +0100, Miklos Vajna wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 05:26:29PM +0000, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote:
>>         + instead have the global headers in one central global directory
>>                 + check behaviour of git-cherry-pick (Miklos)

> Yes, both cherry-pick and revert should support renames,

Great, how do you make it do that? That is _so_ not my experience,
when cherry-picking commits touching reportbuilder/java/{com,org}
to/from libreoffice-4-0 from/to master.

Basically, everything reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star was renamed to
reportbuilder/java/org/libreoffice in

commit 6f28efc2a8a559cc8c37aa883f4de0b59d4fc79c
Author: David Ostrovsky <david at ostrovsky.org>
Date:   Thu Mar 7 08:17:56 2013 +0100

When cherry-picking a commit in libreoffice-4-0 to master, I get a
"deleted on our side" error, and the *complete* file recreated in
reportbuilder/java/com/sun/star/foo/bar.java

I then basically have to either make the same change again manually on
the right file, or generate the patch and manually apply it to the
right file.

--
Lionel