What's the point in destroying whitepsace based alignment in the source?

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 25 21:54:21 PDT 2013

2013/4/26 Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier at googlemail.com>

> Hi *,
>
> What's the benefit of shorter lines compared to formatted "table"?
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=d691181f9ead97bba8970759255ba64f6c26aee6

Any line longer than 100 characters makes it harder to read it if you work
on them with several open editor windows.

> I personally find the previous one much easier to read. Is it
> rule/guideline not to use formatting?

Normally we try to limit our lines to 80 or if really necessary 100
characters. The lines in this file when it comes to defining these values
is often longer than 120 characters and everytime I work on one of the
values I try to clean them up. I'm not a big fan of these formatted tables
as for example my next commit added one entry to this table and would have
broken partly the formatting as the namespace name is longer than any
exiting one.

If Eike or Kohei disagree with my formatting we can roll it back.

Regards,
Markus