Testing Firebird SDBC

Andrzej Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Mon Dec 30 13:16:21 PST 2013

There isn't any firebird server support yet -- however it shouldn't be
hugely
complicated to add -- what's needing doing is allowing setting and
passing the required parameters (url/username/password/etc.) to firebird
-- the passing of the parameters is actually already in place, we just need
to add an easy way for the user to pass them in / parse them.

I.e. I would suggest:

1. Adding a "Firebird Server" driver entry to allow entry of
username/password
     in addition to url:
  connectivity/registry/firebird/org/openoffice/Office/DataAccess/Drivers.xcu
  This would be pretty similar to any of the other remote server driver
entries in the other connectivity/registry/*/..../Drivers.xcu files.
(I suspect it's easiest to have separate driver entries, rather than try
to have one entry dealing with both local files and servers, although we
can probably share the same sdbc:firebird: prefix).

2. Add some supporting code to:
  connectivity/source/drivers/firebird/Connection.cxx
I.e. we need to parse the username/password/url from the new driver
configuration added above (the code to pass username/passwords/urls to
firebird itself is already in place, so we just need to set the
parameters appropriately based on user input).

3. Possibly adapt
  dbaccess/source/ui/dlg/ConnectionHelper.cxx
To only apply the ".fdb" filter when we're configuring "Firebird File"
and not for "Firebird Server".
(I suspect this wouldn't be necessary if we use a separate prefix though).

This shouldn't be hugely complicated to do, the main issue is in setting
up and/or getting access to a firebird server to test that it actually
works, which is why is the main reason I haven't tried to do this yet --
all contributions in this area would be greatly appreciated :).

Cheers,

     Andrzej