Testing Firebird SDBC

iwbnwif yiw iwbnwif at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 03:42:34 PST 2013

Thank you for your reply.

I had mistakenly thought that the "Firebird File" option was a client
option, but now my understanding is that this is a normal Firebird .fdb
file connected using the embedded server.

So I have been trying out the 4.2RC1 on both Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10.

What I see is that the 'fully' embedded option (i.e. the .fdb
compressed/uncompressed to/from the .odb file) works to a degree, but I
have problems with the "Firebird File" option on both Windows and Linux.

On Windows I get an "Unable to complete network request to host
{myhostname}" message, which is strange for the embedded database.

On Linux everything appears to work, but any data entered is not properly
stored. The data is apparently entered okay, it is even possible to create
a query and query the newly entered data, but if you close and re-open the
file then the data is gone. This looks like a transaction not be committed
or rolled back, but I had always thought that as long as the "Save" button
was greyed out that Base had successfully committed the transaction.

>> This shouldn't be hugely complicated to do, the main issue is in setting
up and/or getting access to a
>> firebird server to test that it actually works, which is why is the main
reason I haven't tried to do this yet
>> -- all contributions in this area would be greatly appreciated :).

I am more than happy to setup various Firebird servers on Windows 8, XP and
Linux and do what ever testing you need. However one problem is that I have
never been able to build LO from source so would you be able to put the
changes into the master?