Unpublishing API post 4.0

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 04:31:02 PST 2013

On 02/07/2013 05:36 PM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> On 02/07/2013 11:04 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:
>  > * un-publishing interface in 4.0.1 (Kohei / Stephan)
>  >     + concern about doing that in a micro release.
>  >     + resolved on the mailing list.
>
> So, we've resolved this particular API in question
> (css.document.MediaDescriptor) since that one was, although marked
> 'published', practically equivalent of being unpublished.
>
> But I still have concerns in this area.  What if we discover an API that
> should be (or should've been) unpublished way after the initial 4.0
> release?  This may happen as we venture into areas where nobody has
> really ventured into up until now, and discover some obscure use of
> "published" API which hinders further rework unless the API is
> unpublished.  Since we still have lots of areas in our code base where
> nobody has stepped up to claim maintainer-ship, this is a very likely
> possibility.

The published vs. unpublished is something of a red herring here.  The
real issue is if there is a problem you want to fix for a micro release
and the fix requires incompatible changes.  The solution is as always,
if the benefits are considered higher than the risks, then make the
incompatible change, otherwise don't (i.e., postpone indefinitely or
postpone until the next minor or even major, where the perceived risk
might be smaller).

The hitch with announcing changes in micro releases is that the
lexicographical order of release numbers does not necessarily match the
chronological order of releases, so what does it mean if some change is
in "since LO 4.0.2" if LO 4.1 has been released before LO 4.0.2?

Stephan