[libreoffice-accessibility] introduction

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 03:27:34 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 09:29 +0100, Sophie Gautier wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks a lot for your proposal. I'm sending your mail to the developers
> list so we are sure they are aware of it.
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie
> On 21/02/2013 23:33, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > My name is Jonathan Nadeau and I'm the executive director of the
> > Accessible Computing Foundation located here
> >
> > http://www.accessiblecomputingfoundation.org
> >
> > I'm looking to fund some developers to fix some accessibility bugs with
> > Libreoffice and the Orca screen reader.

Nadeau isn't cc'ed on Sophie's original email and I don't know if he's
subscribed to any of these email lists, but I think it's worth
mentioning that the work in progress of moving our dialogs to the gtk
builder file format now makes it super super easy to:
a) set that a label is the right mnemonic widget for something else,
which sets up the default a11y label for, label by relationships between
them
b) add a11y descriptions, a11y names, explicit label-for, label-by and
member-of etc relations

I'm not particularly a11y experienced, but I fired up orca a few weeks
ago and tweaked our a11y support a bit until it read out the
"format->title page" dialog the same way as it would read it if it was a
native gtk dialog.

Obviously there's a lot more a11y-wise to just our dialogs, but at least
for those new-format dialogs anyone with experience in tweaking gtk a11y
issues via glade can directly apply that experience to our new dialogs.

C.