Need help regarding GSOC...

Daniel Bankston daniel.e.bankston at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:48:24 PST 2013

On 02/22/2013 06:35 AM, Sujay m wrote:
> I want to contribute to open source software world through GSOC - 2013
> and want to contribute to libreoffice... I am not an amazing
> programmer but want learn more in this field... I am having an idea
> but not sure where or with whom i must discuss it with... I would like
> to discuss it with the libreoffice mentors but not sure which is right
> portal..so if you could guide me it'll be really helpfull..Thank you..

Hi, Sujay,

Read the LibreOffice GSOC page if you haven't already (link below). I
recommend hanging around on #libreoffice-dev on irc.freenode.net and
browsing the mailing list traffic to help get a feel for the community.
Don't be afraid to ask questions on #libreoffice-dev or mailing list.
(Just be patient and polite.)
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoc
http://freenode.net

Like Fridrich said, check out the EasyHacks and submit a patch. This
will help get you familiar with things like obtaining, building, and
navigating the source code and also with using git.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Native_Build
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development

There are some GSOC project ideas along with associated mentor(s) on the
GSOC ideas page.  Find an area that interests you and contact that mentor.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas

I was a GSOC student last summer and had a great experience.  The
community is very welcoming and helpful to newcomers who seriously want
to contribute.  While working on LibreOffice, I learned a lot of
relevant software development lessons, met some great people, and had fun.

Good luck!
--Daniel Bankston