Show module dependencies

Matúš Kukan matus.kukan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 08:20:36 PST 2013

On 25 February 2013 10:52, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> With the need for dmake and build.pl almost gone, I assume that we will want
> to dump */prj/build.lst files and expressing inter-module dependencies via
> them, too.  That leaves the question how we want to be able to track
> inter-module dependencies in the future.  Specifically, what I am looking
> for is a command (e.g., make target) to show all the modules that some given
> module depends on, to help me decide into which module to put newly
> developed functionality.

I am afraid we need to continue maintaining these dependencies manually.
Maybe something like $(call gb_Module_use_modules,sal,external boost cppunit)
instead of sal/prj/build.lst.
In gbuild nothing depends on a module; only on its targets - but the
target does not know into which module it belongs.
I hope this makes sense :-)

> (Even if this information were no longer relevant
> for gbuild---what is the future story of "make <module>.all"?---we will IMO
> nevertheless want to keep module dependencies from turning into a cyclic
> ball.)

test and vcl are already depending on each other I think.
make <module>.all should work just fine now and also in the future.
We don't need module dependencies for that.
Each target lists its dependencies and gbuild knows about all of them.

> (Btw, top-level "make help" advertises "showdeliverables" and "showmodules"
> targets, the latter of which looks relevant here, but neither of them
> works.)

They should both work (I wouldn't trust that 'showdeliverables' lists
all the files)
but not as a toplevel target. Only inside a module.
'showmodules' is now pointless, it was used to identify modules from tail_build.

HTH,
Matus