Crash with gnome#627420-1.ods in string related function

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Jan 8 03:41:08 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 19:44 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> We could throw a StringAllocationFailed exception, and catch it near
> the bottom if the import process, and use that to indicate that the
> document is corrupt.

	Sigh - this brings us back to the old chestnut of the impact exceptions
have on generated code size, and (lack of) optimisation.

	I had hoped that when we last discussed it we ended up with a "try not
to use exceptions at bazillions of call-sites" approach.

	In this case I imagine sanity-checking the string length vs. some
sane / known likely bounds might work; one upper-bound for the length of
a string is presumably the size of the un-compressed .zip file.

	Then again your error sounds like pushing against the over-commit
goodness; for which there is no real cure :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.