[Libreoffice-ux-advise] LATE FEATURE: Personas in LibreOffice

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 08:28:44 PST 2013

Hi Michel, Kendy,

* sorry this comes so late... *

tldr: The background image UI should really go if it won't work.

On 18 January 2013 10:03, Jan Holesovsky <kendy at suse.cz> wrote:
>> May i make some suggestions on the pref panel ?
>> - why not keep the "own image" to select an image in local hd ?

Hm ... well, for Firefox, there's a persona builder add-on to do that.
I think it can also upload personas, so in a way, that's covered.

Additionally, of course, the background image functionality still
doesn't work in master – so, given how...
* we would need Kendy to work on this functionality, so it actually works
* we would need string changes to point out that background images and
personas are mutually exclusive (as you (Michel) already noticed)

So, this leads me to believe that we're best of just removing the
background images feature from 4.0.

>> - if i understand ok (images and personas are exclusive), we can have
>> the choices :
>>       *Toolbar background*
>>         O Default
>>         O Image                  <Select Image...>
>>         O Firefox Persona        <Select Persona...>
>>
>>       (I renamed "own image" to "Image")

Overall, I agree to this structure... and I am actually fine with the
shorter option titles – instead of the long options, a short
introductory text above telling users unaware of the feature what
Personas are would be nice (like "Use Personas to customize the
background of your toolbar." not sure if needs any more than that).
Again, this is now a feature for after 4.0.

>> - would it be possible to add a preview of image/persona ?
>> and a status text if there is an error (error loading image, error

Agree.

* * *

On the design list, I wrote a small critique on the discoverability of
the personas feature comparing it to the Firefox feature without any
real solutions, just fyi...
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/A-new-old-branding-tp4028724p4030504.html

Astron.