[GSOC]Firebird Integration Weekly Update 04

Javier Fernandez jfernandez at igalia.com
Sun Jul 7 23:54:04 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 07/07/13 22:32, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:

> Finally I've been looking at flamerobin which is a firebird administration
> tool -- this uses IBPP which is a C++ wrapper for Firebird -- I'm
> wondering whether it wouldn't in fact make more sense to use this rather
> than the C api. It's about 15 smallish C++ files, i.e. shouldn't be hard
> to build but could save quite a bit of time (it's taking some time for me
> to get my head around how the C api should be used, IBPP seems somewhat natural).

I understand your point; I was tempted too to use the IBPP wrapper, but
after spending some time looking at the C API I've got the idea that
it's not so complex. As someone commented already in the mailing list,
the SDBC drivers is already a wrapper, so adding a new on top of that,
if not necessary, adding a new dependency looks like not the bets
approach. However, I agree that IBPP is quite simple and stable, so I
wouldn't discard it definitively.

Anyway, if you ned some help or advice on using the C api, just png me
at the irc (lajava). The documentation of the C appi is quite good, with
lots of C examples.

Regards,