[GSoC] Impress Remote Protocol

Andrzej J. R. Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Sun Jul 14 02:01:56 PDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 17:20 +0200, Siqi Liu wrote:

> 1. The pointer feature support
> 2. Is it possible to send to client some basic informations like the
> current presentation filename, author, etc before the users hit "start
> presentation"? Since (as Michael Meeks pointed out) it's much harder
> to send previews before the beginning of the presentation, this would
> be a great alternative solution.
That should be possible: probably best to look at the start of
executeCommand in Receiver.cxx to see how to access the presentation
document, where we first get the active Frame (currently active window),
and then xFrame->getController()->getModel() to get the model of the
Presentation Document (you can find a list of some of the interfaces
that are implemented within sd/source/ui/inc/unomodel.hxx ). XModel's
getUrl method supplies the full path to the file that is open (although
there might be a better method elsewhere with just the document name).
You'll probably need to dig around a bit to find exactly what you need,
but it shouldn't be particularly difficult to do.

It should also be possible to implement the new pointer feature
independently of other protocol improvements: I don't know how you're
planning to implement it, but the only thing that would affect the rest
of the server would probably be adding the necessary code to
Receiver.cxx to parse pointer positions and pass them onto wherever you
actually deal with drawing the pointer -- it's probably worth adding a
versioning string to the protocol handshake (so that the client can
detect whether the server supports this and not offer a pointer unless
available), but it isn't entirely necessary given that the server should
just ignore any commands it doesn't understand -- although things may be
more complicated if the server has to get involved in calibration.

ATB,

	Andrzej