LO /  Firebird DB Integration

Andres Gomez agomez at igalia.com
Fri Jun 7 07:43:29 PDT 2013

Hi,

sorry for the delayed answer on this.

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 19:48 +0100, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what your views are on this / which version
> you've been using so far? I guess the LO developers in general might
> also have some input on which is preferable?

With the constraints we saw to start using FB3 and its native C++ API
straight away, we chose to go for FB2.5 and the native plain C API.

I think this is a safer path and migrating to native C++ and FB3 once it
is stable shouldn't be hard in the future.

> Also have any of you looked at integrating Firebird into the LO build
> system yet, as this was one of the first things I was planning on doing
> (although that is dependent on the choice of FB 2.5 vs 3). I think
> Andres mentioned he was concentrating on developing on Linux at first --
> I could look into the Windows specifics for Firebird to ensure things
> are as cross-platform as possible from the start (although I should
> probably mention I don't have too much Windows experience yet, and my
> system isn't the fastest for building stuff there).

I started doing it for Linux as an external dependency. I also started
walking the path to add FB as a bundled library inside LibO, but this is
far from being completed.

In any case, any help on Windows is welcome :)

Javier is the one leading the development effort of the SDBC driver. I
think he was saying that he could now split tasks to be done regarding
this.

> I've create a wiki page where I'm putting down some notes on whats
> happening here -- I've also extracted the technical discussion and the
> estimated timeplan from my GSOC application in case that's useful to
> anyone else:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Base/FirebirdSQL . Feel
> free to add to/edit that if you wish.

I've updated it with the latest information I had.

Br.
--
Andres Gomez
Computer Science Engineer