Help in git status vs git commit

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 08:01:28 PDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 04:40 PM, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> I just want to be sure that "renomeado"(AKA renamed) is correct there,
> because I "git rm  drpcps.hrc" and it says I am renaming it...

Git does not have a concept of moving files.  It uses heuristics to
reconstruct that information from similarities between files.  Buggy
approach IMO (putting "log --follow" at the mercy of that heuristics'
accuracy), though I know that Linus claims its a feature not a bug.
(And correct me if I'm wrong, you lovers of git out there.)

Stephan