LO /  Firebird DB Integration

Jean-Pierre Ledure jp at ledure.be
Mon Jun 24 12:38:11 PDT 2013

> I do not see any improvement with having to bundle hsqldb vs. having to bundle firebird.

If Firebird becomes the default database in Base, it will not be a
matter of bundling either HSQLDB or Firebird, but of bundling _both_ !
Otherwise what about existing legacy databases ?
> The main motivation for the switch was getting rid of java
AFAIK the main issue in using a HSQLDB database embedded in the .odb
file is that, when LO crashes, the chance is big that the database is
destroyed: the recovery process does not recover that part of the file.
Will it still be the case with an embedded Firebird database ?

In that context I invite interested people to read a.o. the thread
published last monday on
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62419 by DACM.
An extract:
> Unfortunately, the devs remain preoccupied with the embedded database
> concept based on a default database engine. They're literally wasting
> the summer trying to shoe-horn Firebird into Base as the default in
> order to achieve yet another, single-file database (.odb), much like
> we have today with HSQLDB. They don't seem to understand or
> acknowledge that the user community has shelved the concept because it
> is inherently unreliable (as confirmed by Microsoft
> <http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-reasons-to-split-an-access-database/1119>:
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-reasons-to-split-an-access-database/1119).
> We've also moved beyond the idea of a default database with Base. This
> actually free's the devs to eliminate internal Java dependencies from
> the entire LibO/AOO code-base, perhaps with the exception of the hooks
> necessary for external JDBC support.

Have users been enough involved in the debate so far ?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Jean-Pierre