Thoughts on LibreOffice Math

Frédéric WANG fred.wang at free.fr
Thu Jun 27 16:35:10 PDT 2013

I'm not an ODF/ODT expert but AFAIK these formats are just zip archives
of XML documents. Try to save a file in ODT/ODF with LibreOffice and
change the extension to .zip to see what I mean. In particular, you'll
find some "content.xml" files inside that are just MathML documents. So
basically XML import/export of MathML is already done somewhere in
LibreOffice since it is how ODF/ODT are designed.

Whether LibreOffice (or other programs) can handle arbitrary read/right
of MathML is another story. As I said, LibreOffice Math is currently
centered around its internal StarMath syntax. Some information are
currently lost when exported to MathML (that's what I'm trying to fix)
and some information are lost when imported from MathML (because
StarMath is less expressive). LibreOffice cheats a bit by putting the
StarMath source in an <annotation> element when exporting to MathML and
by reading this source again when importing MathML. What I'm suggesting
is to work directly on the MathML representation in the long term so
that import/export is straightforward and no information will be lost.
It will still be possible (and desirable) to use StarMath or other tools
to generate MathML code, though.