Thoughts on LibreOffice Math

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Jun 30 11:59:58 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:09:35PM +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 25/06/13 23:38, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >
> > If I were to do it, I'd retire Math as separate application (may be keep
> > it for old documents or people who really want to use it), and integrate
> > math in text editing as a first class citizen, so editing a math formula
> > is just like editing a table for example. And since MathML is the math
> > language of ODF it should be natively supported and the rendering model
> > be written around it.
>
> problem with that is that there are actually 2 text editing components,
> Writer and EditEngine (used by Impress/Draw/Calc)... the current
> architecture of Math embedded objects has the advantage that it works
> with both of these and so in all applications.

That is something we will have to consider, but the current way is just
counter intuitive, not only that inserting a formula is deeply hidden
behind multiple level menus, but also editing a formula switches to a
completely different UI causing much disruption IMO (and the need to
click a formula to edit it is just annoying). I don't mind keeping Math
as separate competent, but we need a more integrated math editing that
what we have now.

Regards,
Khaled