New laptop

Marc-André Laverdière marcandre.laverdiere at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 19:22:43 PDT 2013

Hello,

I recently had some problems of a laptop crashing randomly. I put a
widget on my desktop that shows the CPU temperature and it allowed me
to diagnose the problem. My system was at 75 degrees without doing
anything heavy.

The BIOS update did wonders. I would suggest to do that right away if
there is one released.

I also purposefully slow down the build, by running with nice -n19,
the lowest priority. You can also set some settings in autogen.sh to
limit the number of concurrent processes, but I found the solution to
work well. Also, you can get a fan to put under your laptop for a few
euros/dollars to help it cool down (My personal experience with those
wasn't very satisfactory, but your mileage may vary).

Much cheaper than buying a computer :)

Marc-André LAVERDIÈRE
"Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete,
not lacking anything." -James 1:4
http://asimplediscipleslife.blogspot.com/
mlaverd.theunixplace.com