New laptop

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Mar 8 02:29:27 PST 2013

Hi José,

On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 00:02 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:16 PM, José Guilherme Vanz wrote:
> > Well, I would like to ask a tip for you. I have a dell vostro laptop,
>> but I cannot use it for contribute in the LO project. The laptop
>> turns off because of the temperature.
>
> This should never happen with the current type of processors (they
> reduce frequency/switch to a low-performance mode triggered by
> temperature) - so it is a clear indicator that your fan/heatsink needs
> a little bit of love (cleaning).

	All of Christian's advice is excellent - hoovering can help; you might
want to check if there is a BIOS update - they often have bugs in this
area, or a setting to tweak the fan speed in there. I guess you're
running Linux - and it's possible that it's not driving the hardware
quite as the manufacturer intended (ie. for it to run Windows ;-).

	The LibreOffice code-base has quite a long history of killing hardware
- particularly laptop hardware - and the gnumake / parallelism belting
the CPU even more intensely and gcc's memory access patterns prolly make
for some nice pathological test-case ;-)

	Previously sleeps were inserted to add some cooling-off period; failing
that you could install icecream and tweak it to only run on one CPU (or
say three if you have four) - which might give some thermal head-room.

	HTH,

		Michael.