[Libreoffice-qa] [LibreOffice-QA] Minutes - March 22nd, 2013

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:24:28 PDT 2013

Hi Björn, *,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 03:49:54PM +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>> Sorry for another email. I just looked at the talkyoo site, all it seems like
>> it's just a VoIP provider.

not "just" a VoIP provider. It provides international telephone
conferencing using standard telephone numbers that are free to call
from various countries in the world. That is pretty special....

>> Question then becomes why not set up something
>> like asterisk and get a line with a sip trunk provider?

> Because:
> a/ someone has to do the work
> b/ the infra team actually setup mumble at one point in time, but it was mostly
>    unused, thus demotivating the team to work on this without a concrete use.
>
> Personally, I would love to have the QA call on murmur/mumble, if others would
> join in there. IMHO it has better audio quality and better support bigger
> audiences than classical SIP.

I also liked the audio quality of mumble very much (at least I had a
feedback on my microphone settings - when dialing in using my
softphone I always wonder whether people can hear me or whether I blow
their ears :-))

Biggest drawback with mumble is that it requires internet connectivity
for all participants. Especially for the BOD-calls this was a
KO-criteria since Florian and others rely on being able to call in
from the road, using their regular telephones, not having
internet-access..

But that of course doesn't mean that other groups cannot use mumble..
But as Björn correctly stated: When mumble was rolled out for testing
(along with openmeeting for example as another alternative) - feedback
was basically nonexistent.
And when it went offline, nobody complained....

ciao
Christian