Killing the gerrit to dev-list spam ...

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Thu May 2 15:16:51 PDT 2013

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 05:39:56PM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> > Devil's advocate question: with that two-list proposal, where to
> > discuss a given patch? ;)
>
> IMHO wherever the patch was proposed:
> - If proposed on gerrit, it should be discussed on gerrit
> - If proposed on the dev-ML, it should be discussed on the dev-ML

That means, for everyone not wanting to miss on relevant development,
to subscribe to two lists? And then people will cross-post, and
subsequent posters will partially forget to Cc the other list - and
folks previously only subscribed to the dev-list will either miss half
of the discussion, or are forced to subscribe to the firehose.

What is the actual advantage then, except causing disruption and pain,
and having everyone and her grandma subscribe two lists instead of
one? ;)

I'm _entirely_ unconvinced this is a good idea. And if in doubt, I'd
always prefer *not* creating more silos.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten