Killing the gerrit to dev-list spam ...

Philipp Riemer ruderphilipp at gmail.com
Tue May 7 06:00:01 PDT 2013

Hey all,
so in my eyes the consensus here is the following:
(1) we want to get informed about new stuff to
  - either react/ review it as a regular developer or
  - to keep up with a topic as sparetime contributor
(2) too many automaticly sent mails blur the view for important messages
and discussions

I would be happy with a regular outline every 8 hours in the style of:

> These are the new submissions to gerrit of the last x hours. They have
the following headlines:
> * fix a typo <http://linktogerrit/123>
> * kill OUString::bla <http://linktogerrit/124>
> * some important change  <http://linktogerrit/125>
>
> For more information or to get involved into a discussion please checkout
the provided Gerrit links.

> In addition, the following changes were merged in the last time frame:
> * tricky bug fix <http://linktogerrit/101>
> * simplify life <http://linktogerrit/42>
>
> Did you know that you can configure Gerrit to send you individualized
email overviews? Checkout <http://linktowiki/howto...>.

My suggestion. Would reduce number of mails while still giving the option
to get updates. A little bit like the ESC protocols...

Philipp

PS: I personally have a filter putting mails from Gerrit into a subfolder.
So I do not get distracted while reading the dev-list. However, this leads
to the fact, that I less often check for patch submission that are
interesting to me.