Killing the gerrit to dev-list spam ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue May 7 08:13:53 PDT 2013

On 05/01/2013 09:33 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> Opinions?

My initial reaction to the gerrit web UI is "it sucks."  Take, e.g.,
comments made directly in the source code:  On a change's overview page,
you can see that there /are/ comments to certain files of a patch set,
but to actually see those comments, you need to click on the individual
files (and if you happen to be logged into gerrit, the file you looked
at is automatically marked as reviewed when you hit the browser's back
button; scary, even if that is reportedly only a private marker only
seen by yourself).  This does not make it easy at all to discover and
contribute to a discussion.

One major rationale for the current dev-list spamming is so that people
like me get informed about pending changes, to ensure changes are
reviewed in a timely way.  Upon reflection, one could argue that people
like me should adjust their working habits---instead of continually
observing only the ML, we should also continually observe
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/q/status:open,n,z>.  And switch the
dev-list spamming off again.

But upon yet further reflection, it appears to me that mail does hit a
sweet spot there.  Like with git commits, where in principle one can
stay informed via git fetch/git log.  But, at least to me, it appears
way more practical to instead do that via the automatically-fed commit
ML:  My mail reader keeps track of which commits I did not yet look at.
  I can flag commits as interesting to come back to them later when I
have more time (though that typically means: never).  I can easily
compose a reply mail to comment on a commit, and if I include the
general ML in that mail, this can start a useful discussion.  In short,
it is a format that makes it easy to consume the information and to
contribute to it.  A counter-example is your average bug-tracker, which
is not mail-based, but still can give you the feeling that you are on
top of the information (and I think an important part there is that the
bug-tracker makes all the information about a single bug immediately
visible on a single web page).

None of that feels really true with gerrit, at least from my grumpy and
skeptical position.  Sure, I should try to adjust my habits, become more
comfortable with that gerrit web UI (or any sort of CLI).  But, to be
honest, gerrit in its current form simply does not appear very usable to
me.  And all the discussion whether and how to replicate information
from gerrit (a tool intended to let people discover and contribute) in
an ML (so people can actually discover and contribute) is testament to that.

Stephan