master start a JRE 7 even if the default JRE is 6

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri May 10 08:27:03 PDT 2013

On 05/09/2013 08:06 PM, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> Le 08/05/2013 11:22, Stephan Bergmann a écrit :
>> On 05/06/2013 07:25 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
>>> What is weird, is that my default Java is Java 6 and LO is configured to
>>> use Java 6. I have both OpenJDK 6 and OpenJDK 7 on my PC.
>>
>> "LO is configured to use Java 6":  for building (i.e., as a switch in
>> your autogen.input) or at runtime (i.e., at "Tools - Options... -
>> LibreOffice - Advanced - Java options")?  The latter is preset via some
>> code that tries to find the "best" JRE on your machine, so could easily
>> pick a JRE 7 if you have installed both 6 and 7, even if you configured
>> your LO build to compile against a JDK 6.
>
> At runtime.
> My default Java is OpenJDK 6 (I should probably change that for OpenJDK
> 7, but LO is currently building ...)

One reason why running "soffice" could result in instantiation of a JVM
7 even if you have a JRE 6 selected at "Tools - Options... - LibreOffice
- Advanced - Java options" could be as follows:  oosplash (called from
soffice) calls javaldx to obtain some JRE-specific values to add to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH before exec'ing soffice.bin, and if for some reason
there's something broken between how javaldx and "Tools - Options... -
LibreOffice - Advanced - Java options" determine which JRE you have
selected, it will do a search of a suitable JRE, which can result in
invocation of various "java" instances.

>>> It seems that official builds (LO 4.0.3.3) does not start a JVM at
>>> launch time.
>>
>> Can depend on what (bundled) extensions are included, for example.
>
> I have default bundled extensions, containing non-linear solver for Calc
> which AFAIK is written in Java. I will check again.
>
> Another possibility couldn't be that the official build starts the JVM
> with a lower Xmx parameter than my own build so that the JVM does not
> crash with ulimit -v set to 2 GB?

Nah, we don't explicitly set any Xmx parameters, neither in official nor
un-official builds.

Stephan