Is HelpId still useful for .src files?

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Mon May 27 20:13:56 PDT 2013

Hey,

2013/5/26 Rodolfo <rodolforg at gmail.com>:
> Thank you for your reply, Markus.
> I have some more questions now =)
>
> 2013/5/26 Markus Mohrhard <markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com>:
>> 2013/5/26 Rodolfo <rodolforg at gmail.com>:
>>> I wonder if "helpid" field could be removed also of (popup) menus
>>> defined in .SRC files.
>>
>> No. We only removed the old id based help ids that are unused because
>> the mapping is done by the uno command name.
>
> Ok. Got it.
>

>> The second one is a correct help id as HID_FM_DELETEROWS expands to
>> SVX_HID_FM_DELETEROWS which can be read by the resource manager and is
>> mapped to the help text "Deletes the selected record." in english.
>
> But why the help texts use SID_FM_DELETEROWS (instead of HID_ or SVX_HID_ ?)
>
> msgid "To delete a record in the current table, right-click the row
> header of the record, and then select <emph>Delete</emph>. <ahelp
> hid=\"SID_FM_DELETEROWS\" visibility=\"hidden\">Deletes the selected
> record.</ahelp>" [1]

You need to be careful. If you look into the generated ht files you
will notice that the extended help strings use SVX_HID_FM_DELETEROWS.
You just looked into the translation of the help files which contains
the same content as the original file but the help files are compiled
into another structure during the build. I don't know why the
SID_FM_DELETEROWS is used in the entry.

> And why doesn't use "SVX_HID_FM_DELETEROWS" straightly?
> HID_FM_DELETEROWS is only used to define that string
> "SVX_HID_FM_DELETEROWS" [2] . Would this be a special case?
>
>>      30         MenuItem
>>      31         {
>>      32             Identifier = SID_FM_DELETEROWS ;
>>      33             HelpId = "SVX_HID_FM_DELETEROWS" ;
>

> [1] http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/translations/source/pt-BR/helpcontent2/source/text/shared/01.po#16034
> [2] http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/search?q=HID_FM_DELETEROWS&project=binfilter&project=core&project=dictionaries&project=help&project=translations&defs=&refs=&path=&hist=

It is mostly a form to structure the help ids. They are all in one
place then and if one help id is used in two places you still only
need to define the string once.

>> The first one is a bit more tricky and I think is missing a help id
>> nowadays as it is an id based help id which I think has no
>> representation anymore in the help system. The longer I look at it I
>> come to the conclusion that the first one is an error. I think it
>> should be HID_ATTR_CHAR_FONTHEIGHT and that should be mapped to a
>> correct string and to the correct help text (if there is one at all).
>
> Hm... Is there a documentation about that help generation/system?

There is a little bit of documentation at the OpenOffice pages but
except for that I think it is just reading code and debugging.

Regards,
Markus