[GSoC] Character border

Zolnai Tamás zolnaitamas2000 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 09:16:08 PDT 2013

Hi all,

   It seems my proposal got into the selected ones, thanks for the
opportunity.

    As some of list members know I am not a beginner with LO. I have
already done some work mostly with localization (kill sdf and
refactor\clean l10ntools). Additionally I have added a little feature which
is visible from the side of the users too (limitbox in Base).

    On the summer, I will wrok with Writer, making possible using character
borders. It sounds simple, but it has more sides. The first thing that
comes to mind about character border is a simple four-sided border with the
given color, width and style.
   But It can be extended a bit, with adding different borders to the sides
or adding borders just to the selected ones (like table border). So it can
use no just as a border but as an underlining or overlining (with more
features which a simple one provide) but in extreme cases it can also use
as an unremoveable '|' separator. (well, I have no idea when it comes in
handy)
   The third part is using shadow as a special inhomogeneous border and
adding padding between the selected characters and the border.

   I added a bit detailed description of this feature, just to see what
territories it touch. So if anybody has ideas\advices about painting
lines\borders, adding new character attributes, extending filters or
anything linked with them, than - as the phrase goes - feel free to write
me.

Best regards,
Tamas