[GSoC] Character border

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Wed May 29 01:02:34 PDT 2013

Hello Tamás,

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 18:16 +0200, Zolnai Tamás wrote:
>     As some of list members know I am not a beginner with LO. I have
> already done some work mostly with localization (kill sdf and refactor
> \clean l10ntools). Additionally I have added a little feature which is
> visible from the side of the users too (limitbox in Base).

It will be great to have you working on the characters borders!

>     On the summer, I will wrok with Writer, making possible using
> character borders. It sounds simple, but it has more sides. The first
> thing that comes to mind about character border is a simple four-sided
> border with the given color, width and style.

[...]

Well that is only the use case and it isn't that complex: if we can draw
the 4 borders, then any other case is pretty simple ;)

You should better see your task as the following steps:
  * Change the Character properties UI to add the existing "Borders"
page.
  * Write the borders definition into the SwFmt.
  * Change the layout to paint the borders. Borders will influence the
line height and spacing between characters. This part will probably be
the trickiest one. The code to paint borders is already implemented, but
changing the layout requires you to understand it first ;)
  * Persist the borders to the various filters. There is no
specification to do here as even ODF specifies these borders.

>    I added a bit detailed description of this feature, just to see
> what territories it touch. So if anybody has ideas\advices about
> painting lines\borders, adding new character attributes, extending
> filters or anything linked with them, than - as the phrase goes - feel
> free to write me.

I think Miklos planned to have a kick-starting session with you: we'll
be able to discuss the details there. I once had a patch for the first
step, you'll find it attached, although I'm not sure it's still useful.

--
Cedric