minutes of ESC call ...

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:18:47 PST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Michael Meeks
<michael.meeks at collabora.com> wrote:

> * Pending Action Items:
>     + poke at Android / iOS remote-control translation issues (Andras)
>         [ found the issue, know how to fix it - fix pending ]

First I thought that I needed to fix a Makefile, but now it seems that
this task is more complex.

If I understood correctly, we want to release Android and iOS Impress
Remote from master.

Android version takes the strings from translations/, but
unfortunately it is not translated at all in master. libreoffice-4-1
branch -- which is translated -- contains a completely different app,
at least the strings do not match.

iOS version takes localization from its own folder, it does not use
translations/ and currently it has French and Chinese translations
only (presumably from Siqi).

For me it seems that mobile app release schedule is different from
LibreOffice's release schedule. I think it makes little sense to
handle LibreOffice and mobile app localization together. I think we
need to handle mobile apps separately, create new projects in Pootle,
and ask translators to translate them quickly. Also, I found tools
that convert Android strings.xml and iOS .strings to .po and vice
versa, we don't have to depend on our own l10ntools. Practically,
localized mobile apps could be built without LibreOffice build
environment.

Please let me know, what you think. I'd like to setup Android and iOS
translation projects in Pootle ASAP.

Cheers,
Andras