Build switches for mysql connector extension - Mac OSX

Alex Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 08:46:37 PST 2013

Hi all,

I used to be able to build a functional mysql connector on MacOSX by
using the build switch :

--enable-ext-mariadb-connector

However, the inclusion of a build-time downloaded libmariadb library was
stopped after this caused crashes on Window

If you run the above switch now on OSX, you get the following message :

libmariadb is known to be broken as of 2013-10; use libmysqlclient

and configure stops without completing.

So the million dollar question now is : which switch is to be used now ?

On my Linux systems, I don't seem to have any problem building the
connector extension, I imagine because libmysqlclient is included on the
machines in question (because I'm running mysql client and server),
along with libmysqlcppconn.

However, on Mac OSX, these are not included by default. I have
downloaded the MySQL C connector library source, and also have a copy of
libmysqlcppconn for OSX, but how do I tell autogen.sh to use them ?

I have tried using :

--with-system-mysql-cppconn=/path/to/lib/

and removing the --enable-ext-mariadb-connector

but if I do this, the connector fails to get built. I see a mysql
connector directory in the extensions directory, but it doesn't contain
any of the libs and isn't assembled into an OXT, unlike say, NLPSolver.
I suspect this is due to the externalisation of these extensions.

Alex