Localization of iOS Impress Remote

Siqi Liu me at siqi.fr
Wed Nov 20 16:19:04 PST 2013

Hello again,

I've done some clean up and here are what should be translated for each

English (default app language):

* libreoffice/core/ios/iosremote/en.lproj/iPad_autosize.strings
for iPad storyboard (UI design file)
* libreoffice/core/ios/iosremote/iosremote/en.lproj/iPhone_autoSize.strings
for iPhone storyboard (UI design file)
* libreoffice/core/ios/iosremote/iosremote/en.lproj/Localizable.strings
strings for programmatically displayed strings
* libreoffice/core/ios/iosremote/Settings.bundle/en.lproj/Root.strings
strings for settings menus

For each language, these four files should be translated accordingly, and I
can take care of the rest. For the UI design file though, note that only
the string itself should be replaced, all other identifiers etc. should not
be modified since they are used to locate corresponding strings in the

Let me know if I can of any further help!

Thank you,
Siqi Liu

2013/11/20 Siqi Liu <me at siqi.fr>

> Hello Andras,
> Indeed the localization process in iOS development was quite broken before
> iOS6. Actually when I set out to build this app, iOS7 was not yet released
> so I tried my best to keep the app compatible with iOS5 and iOS6. It's now
> compatible with iOS7 as well but keeping it compatible with iOS5 devices
> also brings some side effects:
> iOS5 doesn't support "base storyboard" (one UI file+one localization
> strings file for each language) and therefore each time we support a new
> language, we need to create a separate storyboard (iOS's UI design file)
> for that. In order to avoid the pain keeping storyborads for different
> languages in sync, I've used a python script which propagates all UI
> changes in the English storyboard to all other languages's storyboard and
> remplace all strings in these storyboards accordingly at the end of each
> compilation.
> So here is how it works for now:
> 1. For strings that are displayed programmatically, the
> Localizable.strings files would be used. For each language, there should be
> one *Localizable.strings* file.
> 2. For strings in the Storyboard, the python script will go through the
> whole file and extract all the strings in the storyboards. We translate
> those files from English to another language and then, we build the project
> again and the python script would take care of replacing all the strings
> into storyboard files accordingly. Therefore, there would be two files
> here, *iPad_autosize.strings* and *iPhone_autosize.strings*.
> For the time being this solution (or a hack xD) is still a workable
> solution to keep backward compatibility with iOS5, so it might be
> worthwhile to keep it that way for now. With future releases from Apple,
> this might provoke some problems and we can consider dropping iOS5 support
> then.
> However I'm not as experienced in terms of software management and it
> might be better to just drop the iOS5 support now, so don't hesitate to
> give me your advice on that.
> Final word: I will push some updates to the localizations files and
> hopefully the three localization files that I've underlined would be ready
> to be uploaded to Pootle. I will send you an email when it's ready.
> All the best!
> Siqi
> 2013/11/17 Andras Timar <timar74 at gmail.com>
>> Hi Siqi,
>> I'm working on the localization of mobile Impress Remote applications.
>> Unfortunately I'm a newbie at iOS development. I did not understand
>> the current directory structure under ios/iosremote, and I'm not sure,
>> if all localizable strings are extracted. How do you generate .strings
>> files? Why are there two locations for localizable stuff --
>> ios/iosremote/en.lproj and ios/iosremote/iosremote/en.lproj?
>> I ran git grep NSLocalizedString, and it seems that strings from
>> ios/iosremote/InAppSettingsKit are not in Localized.strings.
>> In the end, I think we should have 3 English files:
>> Localized.strings
>> iPad_autosize.strings
>> iPhone_autosize.strings
>> I want to upload them to Pootle, then merge back translations into
>> source, and push to git.
>> Thanks for you help in advance.
>> Andras
> --
> --------
> Cordialement,
> Siqi LIU
> Étudiant Ingénieur, 1ère année
> École Supérieur d'Électricité (Supélec)


Siqi LIU

Étudiant Ingénieur, 1ère année
École Supérieur d'Électricité (Supélec)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/attachments/20131121/1289369c/attachment.html>

More information about the LibreOffice mailing list