Question to code-insider: maximum numbers

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at collabora.com
Tue Oct 1 11:09:06 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 09:36 +0200, Thomas Krumbein wrote:
> Question Calc (spreadsheet):
>
> How many datapoints can be access for charts?
> Means: How many lines can be maximum used for one chart? Is there a
> physical border (maximum number?). As I remember, Excel 2003 or 2007
> has
> a maximum number of 3200 datapoints.

I'm not aware of any explicit upper bound for data points. But since the
data points are stored in an STL array internally, it is subject to the
upper bounds of the platform (typically the max value of either size_t
or signed 32-bit integer).  In practice, it is far larger than 3200, and
probably so large that you would never hit that theoretical maximum
value.

Having said that, the current chart implementation is very susceptible
to poor performance when passing a large data set, in practice you
wouldn't want to pass too many data points, else Calc's run time
performance would suffer.  How many data points would be considered too
many is pretty much dependent on your PC.

HTH,

Kohei