[libreoffice-projects] minutes of ESC call ...

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Oct 11 14:41:58 CEST 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 01:15:41PM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 10/11/2013 12:11 PM, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:21:13AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

>>> But what was the story with mysql-connector-ooo, (...)

>> Links against GPLed code, so TDF's policy of no strongly copylefted
>> code means that TDF builds don't bundle it.

> Ah, so that's apparently indeed what's up at
> <http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/mysql-native-connector-for-libreoffice-4.x>.

Yes. A third party built it and uploaded it there.

>> Ubuntu, Debian and (I guess) most GNU/Linux distributions have no
>> problem with (strongly) copylefted code and they ship it.

> As a bundled extension (ending up unzip'ed into the LO
> installation's share/extension) directory, I assume?

Yes, I think so, but for the sake of the other platforms, it is
desirable that it stays possible to do it as a non-bundled extension
(just take the .oxt from the build and distribute that).

> (I'm asking because there are cooking up changes to the UNO
> component "prefix" feature that would make it desirable that no
> non-bundled extension ever used that "prefix" feature.
> Unfortunately, the mysql-connector-ooo.oxt that can be built from
> the LO source tree started to use that "prefix" feature with <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=cd79d51420b90117d0f3e1d5f3cdf9187bd61b88>
> "prefix all component_getFactory methods" towards LO 4.1.

What would be the consequences of reverting the use of that "prefix"
feature in mysql-connector in our master branch? Would that be "the
best" then?

> However, the only non-bundled instance of that extension out there
> that I am aware of,
> <http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/mysql-native-connector-for-libreoffice-4.x/releases/1.0/mysql-connector-ooo.oxt>,
> is luckily old enough to not yet use that feature.)

Sooner or later, someone will likely rebuild it from the 4.1 branch
and reupload it there.

--
Lionel