opinion on SimpleProgramDebugger as a LibO debug tool

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 09:05:39 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 01:44:10PM +0200, Tommy <barta at quipo.it> wrote:
> I'll try to be clearer: is this SimpleProgramDebugger a Windows
> alternative to Valgrind or other Linux tools that people use to do
> profiling, backtraces etc. etc. ?

From the http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/simple_program_debugger.html
description, it seems (to me) that it's more similar to process monitor
(and Linux's strace tool) that monitors syscalls. This is useful
sometimes, but in most cases it's not what we're searching for.

> I have no experience at all with Linux and I don't have enough spare
> time to learn it, so I wonder if this Windows tool may be used by
> Windows users like me to obtain the same results as Linux users do
> with Valgrind.
>
> if yes,  will the developers be able to interpret
> SimpleProgramDebugger's output like they already do with Valgrind?

To me, the most useful input from users to a step by step description of
the problem, so that I can reproduce myself. On Windows, this means
then I can debug the problem myself using Visual Studio's debugger. I
didn't have to deal with Windows-specific memory corruption issues yet,
though previously it was reported that DrMemory
(<http://www.drmemory.org/>) does a pretty good job at it.

Best,

Miklos