OpenGL on Linux

Ruslan Kabatsayev b7.10110111 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 14:32:42 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Markus Mohrhard
<markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hey Philipp,
>

> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Philipp Weissenbacher
>>
>> Bit late to the party, but here you go:
>> http://pastie.org/8712627
>>
>> System: openSUSE 13.1
>> Hardware: Dell Latitude D830 with a "Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated
>> Graphics Controller"
>>

> Do you by chance run it in Vmware? You are only the third one reporting a
> 2.1 OpenGL version. Ignoring the base line we are at just yours and
> Krunoslav Šebetic's. Actually these two are also the ones that don't support
> anti-aliasing which even if we manage to support these old versions results
> in ugly output.

I'd like to note that there're still lots of video cards which are not
even 2.0 capable - e.g. intel video in my EEE PC 1015PN only supports
OpenGL 1.4 with ARB assembly shaders. Another example would be
(although quite old, but still working and actively supported by intel
in Mesa) i915G chipset, which has similar characteristics.
Also, if you try using Mesa 9.1+ with these, you'll get (exactly, not
higher than) OpenGL 2.1 advertised, but really giving you software
fallbacks every now and then.
So, I'd not like to have an office suite require OpenGL higher than
1.4 (it may use higher versions if they are available, but still not
require).
As to antialiasing, it seems Mesa doesn't support useful antialiasing
_at_all_ (not even in swrast). I.e. it has exactly one sample in
GL_ARB_multisample, it doesn't have antialiased lines - only "manual"
supersampling/jittered frame accumulation/jittered frame blending.