OpenGL on Linux

Anthonys Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Feb 10 19:57:16 CET 2014

On 10/02/2014 13:32, Ruslan Kabatsayev wrote:
> I'd like to note that there're still lots of video cards which are not
> even 2.0 capable - e.g. intel video in my EEE PC 1015PN only supports
> OpenGL 1.4 with ARB assembly shaders. Another example would be
> (although quite old, but still working and actively supported by intel
> in Mesa) i915G chipset, which has similar characteristics.
> Also, if you try using Mesa 9.1+ with these, you'll get (exactly, not
> higher than) OpenGL 2.1 advertised, but really giving you software
> fallbacks every now and then.
> So, I'd not like to have an office suite require OpenGL higher than
> 1.4 (it may use higher versions if they are available, but still not
> require).
I'll add that I have literally just retired my old No 2 workstation
which had a Matrox Millenium or similar graphics card - and have also
re-purposed a Matrox G440. I don't know what OpenGL these are, but the
hardware is all Y2K era, and still working fine. I suspect that's older
than i915 (the processors are Socket A).

Cheers,
Wol