Advice needed : making options dialog slightly wider

Jean-Baptiste Faure jbf.faure at sud-ouest.org
Wed Jan 8 10:40:09 PST 2014

Hi Caolán,

Le 08/01/2014 17:59, Caolán McNamara a écrit :
> On Sat, 2014-01-04 at 13:05 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
>> Hi Caolan, all,
>>
>> Is there a disadvantage to make the options dialog slightly wider ?
>> Doing that will allow French localized strings (and probably the German
>> ones) to find enough room. For example in Tools > Options > LibreOffice
>> Calc > View
>
> Well, probably not a problem to make it wider. But I'd prefer to first
> know first what font and size is your desktop's interface font ? so I
> can have a look at the problem because (needless to say) it works fine
> here with those translations and the .uis can be tweaked to specific
> what elements are to shrink when there isn't enough space.

My default font is Ubuntu 12. I tried with Ubuntu 10 with the same result.

On the joined screen copy you can see that both groups of widgets are
truncated. The problem comes from the first dropdown list (Grid Lines).
I tried several other sans serif fonts but very few have enough room.
(Linux Biolinum G 12 for example or DejaVu Sans 10 but 10 is to small
for my eyes).

> The options dialog is a special case because it has so many tabs (and
> its impossible to convert all the tabs in one go anyway) that it has a
> fixed size, while all the other ones have a flexible size.

I suggest for cui/uiconfig/ui/optviewpage.ui to set the property
homogeneous to false for OptViewPage so that both boxes box3 and box4
may have different widths. Doing that make the label "Use system font
for user interface" not truncated when translated in French (with
TP_WIDTH=280)

Best regards.
JBF