Sort and copy results

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at collabora.com
Thu Jun 5 15:26:52 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 00:23 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Kohei,
>
> On Thursday, 2014-06-05 13:33:13 -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>
> > In Calc, you can go to Data -> Sort, and choose to copy the sorted
> > results to someplace else, rather than the default option of sorting in
> > place.
> >
> > I'm just wondering if anyone would miss this feature if it got removed.
>
> It is even defined in ODF, <table:sort attribute
> table:target-range-address=...>, it is part of a <table:database-range>
> element, and if the source range is modified choosing menu Data ->
> Refresh Range will update the target range with the current sorted data.

Well, having it in ODF doesn't mean we need to implement it in the UI,
if it's not good.

> > The UI is a bit awkward, and not clear what the associated two fields
> > (left drop-down and right input fields) are supposed to take.
>
> Left drop-down list has defined (DB) range names, right input field
> takes the top-left cell address of the output range.

Ok.  Then this is probably one of the only fields that doesn't have a
address picker button.  That makes it more awkward.

> > Also, handling this option internally would require quite some extra
> > effort, which, when one is trying to fix issues associted with this,
> > would pose a greater risk of breaking things.
> >
> > Any objections for removing this?
>
> Yes. I'm almost certain that some enterprise users actually use this
> feature.

I'd like to know they still exist though, rather than speculating that
they still do.

Kohei