Repair corrupted odt

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 03:20:15 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Olivier Chorier <lapsus63 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm looking for a way to repair thousands of corrupted odt files. Those
> files have been corrupted after FTP send operations, for some reason.
>
> The "zip" structure seems corrupted. I tried using 7-zip to unzip and zip
> again the odt file, but it doesn't work every time.
> Libre Office can repair them every time, but I need to open, repair, save
> and close those files one by one.

Any chance you could share some of the mildly-corrupted files
publicly? If LibreOffice is doing a good job of repairing your
corrupted files, perhaps we could add a few to our automated tests to
ensure that the codebase continues to be able to recover from your
particular type of file damage.

> I wonder if a script or something like that could be used to repair those
> files. I can't do it manually because there is thousand of them. Ideally, I
> could check them, and repair them automatically using a bash or a java
> script...

Others know much more than I about how LibreOffice repairs files, but
to verify that the files are fixed, there are some good packages for
validating ODF, including the office-o-tron, which can be run on the
command line:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ODF#Validator_Software

Cheers,
--R