Anti-Virus vendors & warnings

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Wed Oct 1 04:43:05 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 13:15 +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Listed quite prominently in the windows build instructions.

	Great :-)

> BitDefender/Security Essentials blocks some of the CVE test-files.

	Caolan kindly committed a fix to turn off the CVE tests on Windows by
default - I think that's prolly a good option here - we get the benefit
of testing them on Linux / Mac with fewer worried I think.

> If it needs forensics to find out what was blocked, then the
> av-solution is crap

	My thesis is that all av-solutions are deeply flawed =)

> So only way is to do as already written in the buildinstructions and
> common sense when actually looking at the AV-solutions' reports:
> Disable monitoring for the build. Not only will that not break the
> build, but also save some cycles for actually compiling stuff instead
> of checking lots of intermediate files.

	I'd love to have some easy way of detecting any AV solution. I suspect
doing something like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1331887/detect-antivirus-on-windows-using-c-sharp

	At the end of the Windows configure; and warning hard may have helped
people like Nicholas save quite a chunk of time.

	I'll file an easy-hack ;-)

	ATB,

		Michael.

--