ESC call Thursday 16:00 central European time ...

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at collabora.com
Wed Oct 8 09:21:06 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-08 at 11:28 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> Le 08/10/2014 10:53, Sophie a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> > Le 08/10/2014 10:44, Michael Meeks a écrit :
> >> Hi Jean-Baptiste,

> >> 	Ah - in general anywhere in the middle is fine - the action items we
> >> try to do while people turn up - to keep the call short.
> >
> > Just for information, I've added the link to Jean-Baptiste message on
> > the QA part of the pad, so you have it at hand if Jean-Baptiste can't
> > attend.
> Thank you Sophie :-)
> I can't attend the call because I will have a professional meeting at
> the same time.
>
> I think we will have a big marketink/communication problem with a lot of
> duplicates of bug 81633 until spring 2015 if the commit for bug 81309 is
> not reverted in 4.2.7 and 4.3.3 for which it is only a partial "fix". So
> the problem is not a Calc only problem, especially when Calc developers
> don't want to be in CC for these Calc bugs.

A large number of random people put us on CC on a large number of bugs.
Handling those incoming notifications diligently takes an enormous
amount of time especially when the number of those who has to "answer"
those CC notification is an order of magnitude lower than the number of
those who liberally put us on CC.

Spending time handling those individual requests means we don't have
time to actually work on fixing bugs, making improvement etc.  Is that
really what you want us to do?

I can only speak for myself, but I've made a concious decision to
disable notification to give up on getting up-to-the-minute updates on
bugs in order to focus my time on working on the code.  Note that
disabling notification doesn't mean I don't go to bugzilla.  I do go to
bugzilla in between my tasks when I have some extra time.  And I can
always run bugzilla query to search for bugs where I'm on CC when I
choose to.

> In other words, what should I answer on users mailing list when a user
> says that his spreadsheets that worked fine since years, suddenly do not
> work anymore?

What works and not work is very subjective, and as I keep repeating in
many other places, one person's bug is another's precious feature.  I
wish I had the power to keep everyone happy, but unfortunately I have no
such power, nor do anyone else.

If anyone reading this knows exactly what to do to "solve" this
conundrum, please do speak up.  I personally don't have any "solution"
to offer other than what I've already done.

Kohei