allow ASSERT_ALWAYS_ABORT for debug builds on windows to be true or false

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Oct 14 01:51:32 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:35:25AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 10/13/2014 10:07 PM, nicholas ferguson wrote:
> >Suggest adding
> >
> >--enable-assert-dbg-never-abort     prevent assert() aborts in debug mode.
>
> I see no good reason for that.  (If your are so desperate that you
> need that for whatever reason, you should be able to add an ad-hoc
> patch locally, without a need for a permanent switch.)

Well, I see a good reason for that. I recently saw some bibisects being done
with Mikloss dbgutils bibisect repo[1] and they seem to contain more "git
bisect skip"s than everything else leading to less than optimal results. Now
the fact that the branch apparently has so many asserts that fail regulary is
unhealthy a topic of its own. But restricting our triaging here by failing too
early is to be avoided IMHO -- and building bibisects with local patches is
certainly a lot worse than yet-another-configure-switch.

BTW, it seems to me that Mikloss repo does have the
source-hash-deadcodedeadcodedeadcodedeadcode tag that my repos have[2] and thus
make it impossible to identify what a bibisect means without
downloading/updating that whole bibisect repo from the stuff that people
copy-paste to bugzilla. Is that so, and if so, can it be changed?

Best,

Bjoern

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bibisect#Versions
[2] as done by http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/contrib/dev-tools/tree/bibisect/Makefile#n59