vs2012-ide-integration ( with better examples)

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 07:11:01 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM, nicholas ferguson
<nicholasferguson at wingarch.com> wrote:

> If I send you my notes, could you tweak your vs2012-ide-integration, to a
> vs2012native-ide-integration ( or any name you choose) so that we could
> generate those projects?

In theory gbuild could be taught to generate this vxproj files...
gbuild is kind of object oriented, so it should be possible to run
make in a way that generate these files and then be able to call make
to build the product using batch invocation of visual studio build...
Ad Hoc construction of these files would not work because they would
become out-of-sync with the build pretty quickly.

Of course the 80/20 rule apply here.. dealing with straight c++
compile + link is relatively easy.. dealing with all the other corner
case fo the build is the hard part that would require substantial
hacking to create visual-studio custom build rules than can then be
invoked in a 'sln'...

As I said in theory it is doable, but it is much more work to do
completely than it looks at first sight... of course an incremental
approach may be possible.. dealing with low hanging fruit first (iow
module that do not have 'fancy' build step.. iow only straight forward
compile + link) so that at least one could have a 'sln' that can do
partial rebuild and debugging...) It just happen that no-one has felt
the urge to scratch that particular hitch... most dev avoid as much as
possible that awful platform. competent, motivated hacker that enjoy
windows is, unsurprisingly, a rare breed...

Norbert