4.3.x linux packages and collada support

Zolnai Tamás zolnaitamas2000 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 04:48:27 PDT 2014

> Hi Tamas,
>
> On Sat, 2014-09-27 at 16:05 +0200, Zolnai Tamás wrote:
> > It's the collada2gltf code which uses std::shared_ptr at many places
> > so it would be much work to replace all of them with
> > boost::shared_ptr, but actually can be done if necessary.
>
>         Interesting; we should work out what is best to do there I guess.
>
> >  I just thought packages are created with newer compilers, since they
> > generate more better output (in theory).
>
>         We compile LibreOffice on our oldest Linux base-line, which is
> something horribly old; that is because it is the only effective way to
> get backwards comaptibilioty
>
> > Other thing is that I need to know whether this is the problem indeed.
> > So can I know what compilers are used for packages? Are they support
> > std::shared_ptr?
>
>         AFAICS it is bad form to disable the feature during the release
> series
> without discussing it and/or notifying the author etc. I imagine it was
> inadvertent, and/or Cloph who normally does the compiles is on vacation
> & Robinson has been standing in for a bit; I've no idea what happened
> here. I took a look at configure.ac and distro-config's on the branch
> and couldn't see what happened there either.
>
>         What commit disabled that ?

This is the commit which adds check for std::shared_ptr:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=aa5fe7958d087fbd6e64b29bbf2fa6e4d9ba5ab6
Git log shows that I'm the author, but I actually did just one part of that
patch. Matus finished it adding the std::shared_ptr check (next to other
things). That's the point where we should have realized that collada2gltf
uses C++11 and so should not be part of 4.3, but it seems in this case our
division of labor lead to information loss.

Best Regards,
Tamás