Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Thu Apr 9 01:05:05 PDT 2015

> That it's loading the file as a normal text document.

But LibreOffice is not a text editor.

  Instead, the
> 'parser' tells me that the document I'm loading is empty

Most likely some filter misrecognises the LaTeX source as its own format,
but then when it actually tries to load it, it (of course) fails. Not sure
which filter it is.

Unfortunately I think that the way the recognition of input formats work,
it is not possible once LO has decided which filter to use for loading a
document, to regret the decision if the filter notices that the document
isn't what it thought after all.

Probably the fix for this (minor, but probably irritating to some) problem
is to make the filter that thinks it has recognised the LaTeX source as
suitable for itself more strict.

Anyway, don't you need to be a bit tricky on OS X to convince LibreOffice
to even attempt opening a .tex file?

--tml