VclBuilder in an extension

Jan Rheinländer jrheinlaender at gmx.de
Fri Apr 10 10:49:12 PDT 2015

Hi,

that sounds like a lot of work...

What if I convert my extension to a LO module? Then I would get direct
access to all the internal stuff.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of a LO module over an
extension? Can modules be installed separately in Windows (I know that
it works in Ubuntu where writer, calc etc. are all separate packages).

BTW the extension I am talking about is iMath:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ooo-imath/

>> 1. How much work is it to expose the new dialog code? Can you
>> give me a short sketch of what that means?
>>
> In extensions you work with stuff like com.sun.star.awt.XButtons
> while in vcl you work with PushButton so it wouldn't be useful to
> expose the current VclBuilder stuff as it is now cause it works
> with vcl widgets and not the 1000yard higher abstracted-to-death
> uno api.
>
> I haven't really looked into it, but probably in practice you'd
> have to end up abstracting the current vcl builder and vcl layout
> stuff and provide two backends for the builder, a simple vcl-widget
> one and another uno-widget one and create new uno wrapper for the
> layout widgets to go alongside the existing ones.

Jan