VclBuilder in an extension

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 00:18:01 PDT 2015

On 04/10/2015 07:49 PM, Jan Rheinländer wrote:
> that sounds like a lot of work...
>
> What if I convert my extension to a LO module? Then I would get direct
> access to all the internal stuff.
>
> What would be the advantages and disadvantages of a LO module over an
> extension? Can modules be installed separately in Windows (I know that
> it works in Ubuntu where writer, calc etc. are all separate packages).

The disadvantage of core functionality vs. an extension is overall code
bloat of the LO core.  And while making a specific part of LO accessible
to extensions may be a lot of work, it is generally the right way to go
nevertheless---it is our intent to have the relevant core functionality
accessible by extensions.

(And yes, there is some degree of split-up of LO on some platforms.  On
Linux it is typically split into various distro-specific packages, and
on Windows the user can control which parts of the full instset are
actually installed, while on Mac the full instset is monolithic.)